SokukoJi Buddhist Community-Traverse City Meditation Retreat Saturday November 12, 2016
Sokuzan, a Soto Zen monk and head teacher at SokukoJi Buddhist Temple Monastery in Battle Creek will lead this retreat hosted at 703 Rose St, Traverse City. Beginners are welcome. A simple lunch is provided. Suggested donation is $40.00*. For questions or to register, contact Kozan
9:00 am Meditation instruction by Sokuzan with Q & A followed by “block sitting” When the bell rings you are welcome to sit uninterrupted the entire “block” of time, do walking meditation, or take breaks for coffee or tea until the next bell at noon.
- Noon Lunch
- 1:00pm Work period (samu)
- 2:00pm Sitting meditation
- 2:30pm Walking meditation (kinhin, or slow walking)
- 2:40pm Sitting meditation with Maitri Bhavana chants offered for healing
- 3:10pm Walking meditation
- 3:40pm Sitting meditation
- 4:10pm Sokuzan will give a dharma talk with Q&A
- 5:30pm Retreat concludes. You are welcome to join us for dinner at a local restaurant.
*SokukoJi Buddhist Community is a 501 c3 non profit organization. Your tax deductible donations help maintain SokukoJi Buddhist Temple Monastery in Battle Creek, MI where anyone is welcome to come practice. (sokukoji.org) They also help us offer practice opportunities in Traverse City. (sokukojitc.org). We offer online talks and travel to support others in their spiritual practice including, prison inmates and those suffering with substance abuse. Please help us.
Sokuzan will offer private interviews (private meeting with the teacher to ask questions and discuss your practice) during the morning and afternoon segments. Teacher dana (donation) is a traditional Buddhist practice, and though not required, it is greatly appreciated and helps support Sokuzan.